Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion
As seen in DiverseJobs
Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion
College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences
The College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences is seeking an Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion. As a newly created role, and under the direction of the Dean of Arts & Sciences, the Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of strategies to build and sustain a culture of inclusion in Arts & Sciences and at the University more generally, ensuring a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community of students, staff, and faculty alike.
The Associate Dean will serve as a strategic partner to the Dean and the academic Associate Deans for the Divisions, the Graduate School, and the College, and will bring considerations of inclusion and diversity into the heart of the school's strategic planning process and specific academic initiatives. The Associate Dean will also work closely with the Senior Associate Dean for Administration & Planning and the Director of Strategic Analysis & Decision Support to ensure that strategies for inclusion are appropriately incorporated into the school planning process and that robust data resources are developed and maintained to monitor progress against established objectives.
In collaboration with A&S's academic leadership, the incumbent will develop a vision for advancing diversity and inclusion across multiple domains of the academic mission, including undergraduate recruitment and education, graduate recruitment and education, and faculty recruitment, development, and retention. In this capacity, the Associate Dean will work with departmental officers in the school, including Chairs and Directors of Graduate and Undergraduate Studies, to implement effective practices locally. The Associate Dean will also work with the Steering Committee of the school's Directors of Diversity and Inclusion (DDI), and will provide leadership in coordinating the work of the DDI in alignment with related school objectives. The Associate Dean will play an important role in broader University diversity and inclusion efforts as well, serving as A&S's key representative on relevant planning entities at the University level.
The College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences is the largest of the **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.'s eleven schools, offering more than 50 undergraduate majors and concentrations and more than two dozen graduate programs. The College spans the liberal arts, incorporating the social sciences, arts, humanities and sciences. The College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences has an enrollment of over 12,000 students and nearly 750 faculty members.
* Develops systems, processes, and related metrics to expand the pipeline of diverse candidates for faculty positions, and to support enhanced retention of diverse faculty
* Develops systems, processes, and related metrics to expand recruitment of diverse graduate students, and to support enhanced retention of diverse graduate students; develops a vision, strategy, and implementation plan for embedding diversity and inclusion within Ph.D. programs
* Develops systems, processes, and related metrics to expand recruitment of diverse undergraduates; develops a vision, strategy, and implementation plan for embedding diversity and inclusion within undergraduate programs
* Develops a vision, strategy, and implementation plan to advance diversity and inclusion across the academic mission of A&S, embedding diversity and inclusion in the school's research mission
* Identifies and implements strategies to strengthen effective mentoring practices, facilitate networking, and provide career guidance to support student, staff, and faculty professional development and career progression; ensures a supportive and inclusive environment in A&S that allows all faculty, students, and staff to thrive; engages with faculty, students, and staff to keep them apprised of diversity and inclusion efforts, solicits feedback, and incorporates community views into plans
* Uses data to assess progress against strategic objectives relating to diversity and inclusion; identifies key metrics and helps school leadership interpret them as a major consideration in making decisions about priorities and programs; tracks data against relevant peer metrics
* Works with the DDI Steering Committee in leading the DDIs and ensuring alignment of DDI efforts with school objectives
* Serves as a member of the A&S Dean's Office leadership group, integrating considerations of diversity and inclusion into the school's planning and everyday operations
* Builds strong, collaborative relationships with the University Diversity and Inclusion community; serves as a liaison and advisor to faculty, administrators, and student groups to support efforts to strengthen an inclusive environment
* Engages with external constituencies, including prospective applicants, community members, and alumni as a visible and accessible member of the Dean's Office
* Develops strategies to identify and direct resources in support of diversity and inclusion; writes proposals to secure extramural funding; collaborates with the Senior Associate Dean on budgeting and forecasting, and with members of the development community on relevant fundraising initiatives
* Advanced degree required; PhD preferred, ideally in an arts and sciences field
* Substantial relevant experience working in the area of diversity and inclusion (ideally 5-7 years)
* Demonstrated commitment to - and proven track-record of - advancing diversity and inclusion in a higher education setting
* Demonstrated familiarity with relevant issues and legal frameworks, including Affirmative Action, Titles VI and IX, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), etc.
* Outstanding communicator; exceptional ability to convey complex issues and objectives through quantitative, qualitative, and visual means; proven ability to be persuasive and persistent in a collegial setting
* Demonstrated ability to write well and speak well
* Demonstrated ability to analyze and synthesize complex datasets
* Demonstrated ability to gain the confidence and respect of faculty, students, and administrators
* Capacity to build relationships of trust with diverse stakeholders (incl. senior leadership, faculty, and staff) and work effectively with them; strong track-record of collaboration that produces results
* A high level of individual initiative and drive; strong problem-solving skills, and a demonstrated ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion
* Demonstrated ability to listen deeply and actively in interacting with diverse stakeholders
* Demonstrated ability to rapidly assess and understand the surrounding environment, and to build relationships within the environment
How to Apply:
For more information about this opportunity and how to apply, please visit ****
The position will remain opened until filled and the search will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
For further information or to provide nominations, please contact Susan Gaines by email at ****.
The **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.
Document ID: AC254-5B3Z
Ad Number: 25891748